Many areas of the UK have been blighted by stone, mineral and metal ore mining and infilling of these mines is often necessary to remove the risk of collapse and surface subsidence. This is an area of work that we have been involved with for over 25 years, many of these schemes having been funded through English Partnerships (now the HCA) Land Stabilisation Programme.
Our capabilities in this specialist area include;
- Infilling limestone, ironstone, sandstone, chalk & metal ore workings generally up to generally up to 150m deep
- Bulk infilling of open mine workings with pfa/cement or sand/cement paste, sand or gravel
- Using computer controlled continuous batching plants with outputs of up to 150m3/hr
- Pumping mixed infill materials up to 3000m to injection points using trailer mounted concrete pumps and stage pumping stations
- Establishing container surrounded work sites to provide enclosed materials storage and mixing areas. Containers provide material bunkering, dust and noise protection
- Creation of infill barriers in mines and roadways up to 15m in height using granular materials placed through large diameter cased boreholes
- Partial infilling of mines with sand where future removal is planned
- Providing high output conveyor systems to transport granular infill materials to injection points in sensitive or inaccessible locations
- Use of specialist ‘dual head’ rigs allow drilling of unstable & broken ground providing accurate, one pass fully cased holes for injection, monitoring, water abstraction or down hole surveys. These rigs allow maximum use of angle hole drilling to minimise work impact in inaccessible, sensitive or residential locations
- Abstraction and control of mine water levels during infilling using borehole pumps and in-hole monitoring equipment.
- Ultrasonic and CCTV surveys of mines to assess condition and monitor infill progress
- Mine infilling contracts have often been carried out in sensitive locations - densely populated residential areas, ecologically important areas including SSSI’s, SINC’s, nature reserves and sites of geological importance, an operational cemetery and under a zoo - and successful completion requires working closely with the client, all stakeholders, residents and specialist consultants.